Monday, July 27, 2015

Vignette Quilt

A couple months ago I received a fun package from Laura Gunn of her new fabric line, Vignette. This line has several large scale prints which threw me a bit. I don't often work with large scale prints, and I didn't want to cut them too small to lose the designs. I finally opted to upsize a single block. This simple HST block, LynneBobSquarePants, from Lily's Quilts was perfect!

I made the blocks as large as possible with the fabric I had. These blocks are 9" finished. The competed quilt is 54" square.

I used the leftover fabric on the back in what has become a very standard back for my quilts. I love using up the excess fabric and find this a simple, quick pattern to effectively use it.

I quilted it in a simple loopy design.


Thursday, July 23, 2015

Maker Plus Quilt

I adore the Maker line from Art Gallery. I only had fat eighths of the prints. Originally, I intended to make a small baby quilt with the fabrics I had on hand, but decided it needed to be bigger. I filled in the additional space with various Art Gallery Pure Elements. These solids coordinate perfectly with the prints.


The finished blocks are 3" square. The finished quilt size is 57" x 72" (19 blocks x 24 blocks).

I used a boxy quilting design on this quilt. It is backed with a piece of gray minky I've been holding onto for a while. It was perfect for the back of this project. I love how the quilting shows up on the back.

I really love this one! Once it is washed it will be a perfectly snuggly quilt.


Friday, July 10, 2015

MIchael Miller Challenge Quilt...Finally

I finally finished this quilt! It has been in the works since last summer when I started working on it for the Michael Miller Challenge through MQG. I wasn't in love with it the entire time I was making it, which explains why it took me so long. This is one of the problems I have with challenges. Sometimes the fabrics and colors just aren't me. Although, now that it's finished I'm quite happy with it how it came together.


I quilted this project several months ago, and it took me until just last week to finally bind it. I love the quilting on this one, although, don't look too close! This arch design is hard to execute smoothly on a standard machine.

I'm still unsure of how this embroidery pattern will wear over time, but I love this addition to the design. It's something unique that I've never attempted before.


I originally intended to back this quilt with minky, but ultimately opted to back it with a Target sheet I've had in my stash for a long time. I also pieced together a few sections of the leftover fabric. I really didn't want any of this left. These prints are not ones I see myself using again. Making quilt backs like this are my favorite because it uses up the leftovers in a constructive way without wasting anything or increasing my stash size.



I bound it with a sketch print in orange. I was leaning toward aqua, but with the backing of the same color, decided to frame it with something that would provide more contrast.


The final size is 60" x 72", which I think is the perfect throw size.