I created this quilt basically using the Sparkle Punch quilt tutorial on Oh Fransson. (I am not linking directly to the posts about this quilt-along because, honestly, I can't find them. This site is under construction, and some content is currently unavailable. I will update links when available). This tutorial requires the squares to be 3 1/2" cut. I chose to make mine 4" cut since that works better with fat quarters. I adjusted the number of stars for the quilt based on the backing I planned to use. I wanted to back this one with minky. I was able to get 17 x 22 finished squares in for the piece of minky I had.
All fabrics used in this quilt are from Cotton & Steel. I love the colors of their basics lines and find myself using them in place of solids. The stars have just enough pattern to be interesting without being overwhelming. I also mixed in just a few of my favorite prints from various lines.
I used this bright plum print from the Mochi line for my binding. I really like how the small circle groups look when wrapped around as the binding.
I used a swirl design for my quilting. The quilting tended to be a bit more frustrating with this quilt. I think a combination of the minky plus the metallic print I used for the background fabric made for an unhappy sewing machine. I had tension issues that were difficult to correct and lots of thread breakage. I was glad when I finished this one up, but I do love how the quilting looks, especially on the back.
The final size is 60" x 77". Just right for wrapping up in on the couch!
|Photo lightened to show detail.|