I made this first one as a trial run. I am participating in Ellison Lane's Stitch It Swap. I wanted to try out the pattern first before using my precious typewriter.
I purchased some suede from LRStitched a while back. I used that for the contrast bottom. I love how it turned out, but boxing the corners turned out to be a little much for my machine. I couldn't quite stitch over the complete seam. I added a little liquid stitch where I was unable to stitch, and you can't even tell.
Once I knew I liked the pouch design and tutorial, I jumped right in and started my second. I love this one. A LOT.
Sadly for me I'm shipping it off to my secret swap partner for the Stitch It Swap. I might be making myself another one.
I tried really hard to make this pouch complicated. I kept pulling additional fabrics to make it scrappy, but in the end I felt it needed to be very simple. I know my partner will love the typewriter, and I wanted to keep the focus on that print. I added matchstitck quilting to add texture.
I braved Tandy Leather and headed over there to buy my first official piece of leather in person. The navy base is from a small goat hide. I love the contrast of the shiny leather. This piece was much thinner than the suede and my machine had no problem at all stitching through it.
I used metallic and Auriful 12 wt thread in additional to standard weight sewing thread to add some fun variation to the stitching.
The best part about swaps is the fact that you stretch yourself and try something new. I see many more leather projects and bags in my future!
These fabrics are next on my list to chop up!