I have been working on this project for a while. It wasn't one I felt the need to rush through. I had all the curved pieces sewn and trimmed when I headed to Sewtopia two weeks ago. I just needed to piece it all together. I was able to finish the quilt top while at the retreat and get it basted. I chose to bring it home to quilt rather than attempting it there. We didn't have enough table space to deal with a quilt this size. I prefer to quilt on my kitchen table giving myself the whole table to hold the weight of the quilt. So during the week following Sewtopia I slowly worked on quilting this guy. I was able to get it bound this past weekend and can't wait to show it off tonight at MQG!
I used the Quick Curves Ruler and Metro Twist pattern (both from Sew Kind of Wonderful). The original pattern is for a quilt 40" x 55", but mine kept growing until I ran out of fabric. The final size of my quilt is 60" x 77" which is great for a throw.
I used a FQ bundle of Field Day from Alison Glass. I have come to adore Alison's fabric because of the richness and saturation of her colors. I am not a purple person, but I couldn't help but use her large scale purple print from this line for the back. I had excess from the backing and chose to cut that up for one additional row. The purple row doesn't excessively stand out. I love how it's difference is relatively subtle. The background is made up of a mix of low volume prints from my stash. I chose only very simple ones as I didn't want them to compete too much with the Field Day fabric. I love the end result. I feel it provides texture without distraction.
The backing print is pretty amazing. This print is the reason I bought this line in the first place. Because my quilt kept growing my backing was too short. Luckily a friend at Sewtopia had a bolt of yarn-dyed Essex in black on hand and I was able to lengthen it without too much trouble.
The quilting was a challenge. I wanted to do something custom, but considering I do this on my standard machine, I struggled a bit. I am starting to get frustrated with my quilting ability because I want to do more yet feel very constrained by using a domestic machine. I need to start renting time on a longarm and give it a try.
I matched my seam for the backing. I glue basted the sections to match everything up before stitching. It's a fantastic method. I'm a convert!
Have a great Thursday!!