Earlier this year while I attended Sew South, we had an embroidery class from Alison Glass. Honestly, I wasn't overly excited about class itself. I went in with the assumption that it wouldn't be my thing. I was so surprised. I really enjoyed it and found it calming and fun--especially while chatting with other attendees. I finished our needle book project in just a week or two after returning home.
I also came home from Sew South with these books which helped me learn a few more stitches and techniques.
My next project was for the Modern Quilt Guild Michael Miller Challenge. Obviously, I didn't make the deadline as this is still the state of that project, but it was a great project for a summer road trip. It was a fun experiment. I simply traced my stitching pattern directly from the larger pattern on one of the fabrics. I used the Jaybird Hex n' More ruler to cut the shapes for this quilt. The project is now on the "someday" list. With no deadline, it will probably remain like this for a while. I didn't want to use interfacing on this piece because I planned to use it in a quilt. Instead I stitched on two pieces of white, secured with 505 in the middle. This spot will definitely be thicker than the remainder of the quilt, but it will be much less noticeable with fabric vs. interfacing.
My next "road trip" project was stitching some designs on the hem of one of my favorite skirts. It's subtle and on the side so it doesn't scream, "Crazy Embroidery Lady", or at least that's what I tell myself. I used the Clover Sunshine Flowers pattern from Alison Glass on this design.
By this point I was starting to run out of the thread I received at Sew South for my needle book project and decided to invest in some thread. I used regular DMC floss on the guild challenge project and didn't love it. I really loved the Finca Perle Cotton Size 8 so I finally ordered some colors. Isn't it pretty? I just need a color card now!
Finally, this is my most recent project. I'm created a stitched panel for a 241 Tote. Again I didn't want it to stand out and look crazy. I wanted it more subtle, so I chose not to fill in the flowers. Hopefully, I'll be able to share this finished bag very soon!
For the pattern on this piece I used a portion of one design from Just Add Color: Botanicals by Lisa Congdon. I love her work. I went with a pretty simple design on these flowers. Next time I am going to branch out and use one of her more quirky designs. In another post I'll show the process of actually transferring these designs onto dark fabric.
Have a great Wednesday! I'm off to get a little sewing done before picking up my kiddos from school!