Monday, March 10, 2014

Some New Jane Market Bags

For my first project from the extra fabric Laurie sent me, I made three new Jane Market Bags. I love this bag design and have made it many times in the past. My one complaint about the pattern is the lack of interfacing suggestions. I don't think quilting weight cotton is appropriate for this pattern without interfacing, yet the pattern doesn't include this info even as a suggestion. I've tried multiple types of interfacing when making these bags. This time I chose to use cotton duck as an interlining rather than using any interfacing. I simply stitched the interlining to the exterior fabric in a couple places and used it as is. I like the added stability without the stiffness you sometimes get with interfacing. I will definitely use this method again. 


I used Laurie's Sew Pretty line that came out last year. The fabrics are very fun together.



They are each lined with the seam ripper print. I added one pocket inside.

Since I was on a bag making kick, I also put together a few extras. These bags are made with the same dimensions as the original Jane Market Bag, but I chose not to add the accent pocket on each side. I found a great deal on some Heather Bailey Garden District Home Dec fabric and purchased it with the intent of making multiple bags. I want to build up my stash of bags again to give as gifts. This version is much easier and faster, but still very functional. I used cotton webbing for the handles to cut that step as well. I have several more bags cut and ready to put together when I find more time.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty bags. Almost too nice to put groceries in.

    ReplyDelete