Find all tutorial links here.
Basting Flap and Straps:
Needed for this step: Finished bag exterior, bag flap, strap loops, strap hardware (2 rectangle links), key fob if desired.
- Center flap on back of bag-right side of bag to exterior of flap. Match raw edges. Pin well.
- Thread key fob onto 1" x 4" finished strip. Fold in half and center on back of bag over flap.
- Thread metal rings onto 1.5" x 4" strips. Fold in half and center over side seams.
- Baste all pieces in place. Add reinforcing stitches 1/4" from the top on the handle straps and key fob strap.
Stitching it all together:
Supplies needed for this step: Bag exterior, bag lining, walking foot, denim needle, and Wonder Clips or heavy pins
- Turn bag exterior wrong side out. Turn lining right side out. Place lining inside exterior.
- Match side seams. Pin or clip very well around top of bag. Although this image shows I used wonder clips, I found strong pins also work well. The clips tend to shift slightly on portions of the bag.
- Stitch slowly around top of bag with 1/2" seam allowance. The pouch in the lining makes this a bit difficult and may require adjusting and repinning when sewing.
- Go especially slow along thicker areas.
- Using a denim needle reduced some issues on my machine when sewing through thick areas.
- When finished stitching, turn bag through opening in lining.
- Push out boxed corners with chopstick.
- Stitch opening closed in lining bottom.
- Ease lining into bag body.
- Press top edge flat. Edge stitch around the top of bag, holding flap, key fob and strap loops out of the way.
Supplies needed for this step: Finished bag, finished strap, slider hardware piece
- Thread one end of strap around slider bar. Secure end with two rows of stitching about 1 1/2" from hardware.
- Thread other end of strap down through one side hardware link.
- Bring strap end around and thread through slider hardware.