- Problem #1--I'm not very good at sewing clothing, and I don't really enjoy it.
- Problem #2--The pattern had a gazillion pattern pieces to cut. It took me hours just to cut the dang thing out.
- Problem #3--I used costume satin. This was probably the biggest problem of all. That stuff is awful. I really had no idea what I was getting into. I ended up interfacing nearly every piece, plus added an additional layer of fabric on the bodice to give it more stability and strength. I also edge stitched everything along the bodice and wings because I couldn't get it to lay flat. All the extra effort was well worth it in the end. The costume is far from perfect, but she loves it and is refusing to take it off.
- Problem #4--I thought the pattern was hard to understand and use. I used the Simplicity 2872 pattern. I found the pattern quite frustrating and had to reread the instructions many, many times. Since I don't make clothing often, this was likely a large cause of my frustration.
- Problem #5--The belt is a huge pain to put on and take off. It laces up in the back and adds just one more layer of difficulty when putting this costume on. I think I might remake it after Halloween and make it longer with snaps to be more user friendly. I'd like her to be able to use this as a dress-up, and the fiddly belt makes it hard for her to put on.
I'll chalk this one up to experience. In the end she loves it, and that's what matters. I think next time we'll just purchase a costume rather than any attempts at being super mom. Costume sewing just isn't my thing, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I gave it my best. Now back to quilting...