For my post today, I opted to make a simple, modern baby quilt. I love these colors together. Because I was again trying to work from my stash on this project, my design was limited to the small scraps I had left of these fabrics. The solids are from the Pure Elements (Tile Blue, Dark Citron, Light Citron, Fresh Water, and Burnt Orange) line by Art Gallery. The neutral is Essex Linen in Sand by Robert Kaufman.
I started by cutting my fabric into a 5" strip. I only had enough fabric to make six tumblers from each color. I lined the top of the ruler with the edge of the fabric and sliced the blocks.
Next, I started playing around with a layout that would work. I arranged and rearranged pieces until I liked what I had.
To sew the blocks together make sure to off-set the pieces just slightly so everything will line up in the end.
To attach the row ends, I simply cut my linen sashing strip on the same angle.
I estimated my fabric such that my strips were 40" in width. I wanted the resulting quilt to be a 40" square.
I spray basted this project. I have a feeling the linen would have been much harder to quilt if I had pinned instead. It had a habit of shifting on me while I worked on this project. I quilted this using wavy lines. To keep them "straight" I marked anchor lines with my hera marker to make sure I was sewing the lines reasonably straight from side to side.
If you haven't used a hera marker, it simply leaves a faint crease in the fabric that comes out with washing. It's perfect for marking straight quilting lines.
After stitching the anchor lines, I filled in the space between with more wavy lines.
After washing, it crinkled up quite nicely.
The back is more Essex Linen in Sand as well as a stripe of Essex Lime.
A fun, simple modern quilt for a new little boy!
Now for the giveaway! Enter to win your own ruler. The winner will be announced on Friday, June 8. This is my first time trying out Rafflecopter so I'm hoping all goes smoothly. Simply login with Facebook or enter your email address and click to enter the drawing. I tweaked a couple things since posting. I do love your comments but this is no need to leave a comment to enter. (Edit: If you have problems with Rafflecopter, please send me an email, and I'll enter your info for the giveaway. I don't want anyone to miss out because it doesn't work on your computer.)
Giveaway has ended.
Don't forget to hit the other blogs coming up in the next two weeks. You'll find lots of fun ideas for your EZ Dresden project.
- June 1: Salt Lake MQG: Kick Off
- June 2: Lee from Freshly Pieced
- June 3: Kati at from the blue chair
- June 4: Victoria from Bumble Beans Inc, Tanya from Squares and Triangles
- June 5: Val from How About Pink Please, Leigh from Leedle Deedle Quilts
- June 6: Amy from Amy's Creative Side, Elisa from Stitch Outside the Ditch
- June 7: Katie from Swim Bike Quilt, Emily from Em's Scrapbag
- June 8: Melissa from Happy Quilting Melissa, Brooke from Pitter Putter Stitch
- June 9: Nicole from Mama Love Quilts, Amy from Don't You Know Who I Am
- June 10: Elizabeth from Don't Call Me Betsy, Colleen from The Busy Bean
- June 11: Faith from Fresh Lemons Quilts, Deonn from Quiltscapes Quilting
- June 12: Angela from The Artists' House, Barbie from The Quilting Mill
- June 13: Amy from Diary of a Quilter
- June 14: Jessica from Sew Crafty Jess
- June 15: Salt Lake MQG: Wrap-up