I rarely do traditional blocks, but for a very long time I've wanted to try a New York Beauty block. There are so many different designs, and they are all pretty much amazing. Through Pinterest I ran across
I had a lot of fun with the design process. I'm a bit addicted to designing with the color wheel right now so that's the direction I headed.
I found that piecing these curves was the hardest part for me.
I debated quite a bit on how to quilt this guy. The outer corners were tough. I ended up using my trusty hera marker to mark my lines on the charcoal fabric. (I ended up remarking the lines shown in the following picture. I decided the ones you see below were just too close together.)
First I marked and stitched my reference line.
The rest of my stitching was based from this line. For each new row of quilting, I aligned my ruler 1" from the beginning of the previous line and a 1/4" from the edge of the circle. Then I marked this line with the hera marker. The stitching began creating a fan effect as I continued adding lines. I first marked and stitched my lines starting from the right side of my reference line. Then I added stitching lines marked from the left side of my reference line.
This picture shows the stitched lines marked from the right side.
Now both sides are complete.
After I finished all the quilting and even attached the binding, I realized I wasn't happy with the circular quilting in the center. I unpicked all of it and requilted that section.
I'm much happier with the final result.
Thanks again to Jennifer for hosting the Modern Mini Challenge. Don't forget the great prizes and schedule.
Fabulous prizes donated by the Fat Quarter Shop:
- 2 Fat Quarter bundles of the complete line from Denyse Schmidt’s reprint of the Flea Market Fancy line for the Viewer’s Choice Awards
- $100 gift certificate for James’ choice award
- 2 $75 gift certificates for the Luck-of-the-draw awards.
- 2/6/12 - 2/19/12 Weeks 1 & 2: Inspiration Weeks- MMC bloggers share their modern minis and kick-start your creativity plus information about the prizes from our sponsors!
- 2/20/12 - 3/4/12 Weeks 3 & 4: Sew. Sew. Sew! Work on those minis and create your Modern Mini Challenge piece.
- 3/5/12 - 3/9/12 Week 5: Link up your Modern Mini Challenge piece at Ellison Lane Quilts, voting begins and winners are announced on the 9th!