I love great picture frame arrangements for a large wall space such as these. As I was glancing through framing ideas one day I realized these would make a fabulous quilt with large scale prints. Within a day the sketch for this quilt was born.
Heirloom line by Joel Dewberry. The problem was I had a hard time deciding what to do with them because you lose so much by cutting them up. This quilt preserves the prints. I added the borders to frame the arrangement. The sashing is Kona bone which has become a new favorite. The final quilt size is 80"x80". The blocks are all standard photo print/frame sizes-- 5"x7", 8" x 10", 12" x12" and 11" x 14".
After designing the quilt in Photoshop, I started cutting. It wasn't until I was actually laying the quilt out on my design wall, that I realized this wasn't going to be super easy to piece together. I started to get worried. I had to piece this in large sections and then sew about six 90-degree corners (which, by the way, are easier than piecing 60-degree angles with hexagons) to piece everything together. Sometimes I just jump full-on into a project without actually thinking of how it would all come together. Luckily, it worked out just fine.
The back is super simple. I used several colors from the Art Gallery Pure Elements line.
I used grey thread and quilted it on my machine--start to finish-- at our November sewing Saturday. I also spray basted this guy, which is my new favorite as well.
This was a Christmas gift for my sister and her hubs.
While she was opening the quilt, her hubs was showing Little Dude the wonders of cell phones.
I think he wants one of his own.