No quilting around here this week. I haven't found the perfect project to start. I have been working on some smaller projects that have been on my to-do list for a while.
First off I finally finished a new cover for our giant beanbag chair. This was our first official piece of furniture. I made it for my husband the Christmas we got engaged. He still says it's the best present he ever got, which makes me happy. It now lives in our playroom (AKA--the family room), and I wanted a fun cover. This is the fourth time I've made a new outer cover. It's fun to switch it out. Also, I experimented with the pattern on the last cover I made, and it was falling apart. I had too many seams meeting at the top and bottom and it was ripping. This time I just stuck with my original, simple pattern.
I've been stalling on this for a long time. The problem is that I didn't do a good job making the original inner cover. I wasn't much of a sewer back then. I didn't know that the stitching should be reinforced. I just serged the majority of the seams. Now, 10 years later, those seams on the inner cover were starting to spread. I was quite worried they would split and then we'd have a huge mess on our hands. I made a new inner cover as well, but that meant transferring approximately 80lbs of shredded foam from the old inner cover into the new one. Finally, one night last week, the hubs and I braved it. It was a mess, but now we have a nice new beanbag chair (AKA--dog bed, or so Pixel thinks).
Last year I also made two kids' sized bean bag chairs for the kiddos using Dana's Rollie-Pollie pattern from Made. It's a fun little corner of chairs the kids love jumping into.
This flannel sat on my shelf for months. I finally sewed it into a mitered-corner receiving blanket this week. The women from my church did these for an activity months ago to give to new moms at church. I couldn't make it to the activity and volunteered to sew one at home, and they gave me the pieces to sew. It's been so long ago that I forgot how I was supposed to do this. It caused me way more headaches than a simple blanket should. I'm glad to be done with this one.
Finally, I made this little hat for Miss C. I made one for her with this pattern more than a year ago, and it's too small now. The Denyse Schmidt fabric was perfect. The pattern is the Jack and Jill hat from Izzy and Ivy Designs.
It's been so nice to get a few smaller projects done around here, but I'm itching to start a new quilt. I still think that's where my true sewing love lies. I've been tossing around ideas, but nothing concrete yet.