I've had the same cheap, plain white tab-topped curtains hanging in our living room for about two years--since Miss C. broke the blinds. I couldn't find anything I loved when I began the search, and they were still up two years later. Our living room has very few decorations due to our three mini-destroyers so I decided I wanted curtains that had a bold pattern.
I came across this fabulous tutorial from Melanie at The Crafty Cupboard a couple months ago and saved it until I was ready to make my own curtains. Her directions were great, and I was so happy with the results. I even pulled out my info on how to do a blind hem and relearned how to do it.
While shopping at Ikea last week, I saw this fabric and thought it would be fun. I love the color orange and wanted something with a bit of orange to match my photography prints I have framed in our living room. I bought 4.5 yds and headed home.
I also made several new pillow covers to match. These are all super simple designs, and I didn't do any quilting. They are lined, and I did do piping just to add something extra.
I lined my curtains with the old white curtains. It worked great, and I didn't have to buy new fabric for the lining.
I made a blue pillow to mix it up a bit, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's matches my blue, monochromatic quilt for the Modern Quilt Guild challenge. The pillow is here on a trial basis. These are my macro photography prints I took a few years ago. I love having them in our living room, and I love the orange.
Mini-destroyer #2 helping out with the photo shoot.